Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Passing Trains (Part 2): Academia

In order to help give an idea of what my “general” life is like, in terms of classes and work, I shall expand on the classes I have. No week really feels the same, so to say there is a set schedule is difficult, but none the less, on each week there are given places and classes I’m meant to attend (and have been) and so I will let you in on what is happening. This post isn’t really on things I’ve been doing in my spare time, or on anything newly exciting or cultural, but none the less I hope it won’t bore you too much.

There are a total of five classes to explain. All, but for one (the last one, which I will explain), meet for class once a week, and for the most part are a discussion on readings, in which the homework is to read the readings. These are as follows.

---Two classes at Hungarian universities:---

There is an availability to take classes from two universities in the city of Budapest, however, both classes I have chosen are at the same university, Karoli Gasper. One class is “The Holocaust in American Literature.” This, as the title suggests, examines the Holocaust in literature, through examination of literary technique. We discuss the authenticity of being able to write about the Holocaust through art in literature, such as poetry and novels. So far we’ve read a short story, and article on the subject matter, and “Night” by Elie Wiesel. The discussions and readings have been very worthwhile, and find the subject matter an important one to examine, and an eye opener in learning more about humanity.
The other class is a creative writing class on poetry. Which includes reading poetry and reacting to it, as well as writing a poem every week. We experiment with form and genre in order to help us better understand the methods of poetry writing as an art form.

---Two classes with the Calvin Professor, Professor Page, leading the Hungary program:---

One is a culture class on Central Europe. It involves excursions to the surrounding countries. We do readings about the countries before hand to prepare, go, and then discuss what we have seen. So far we have gone to Transylvania and Poland. Both trips I will expand on in other postings.

The other class is a theatre and politics class. It examines theatre from Europe, mostly as a response to World War II, and a special look at absurdist theatre (being my favorite form of theatre, this brings me great joy and excitement). We have read (or, re-read in my case, probably for a fifth time) Waiting for Godot by Samuel Becket, an amazing play, of which I may have to expand on in a future date. We’ve also been reading some plays by Václav Havel, a playwright, and now former president of Czechoslovak. He has a similar style to Beckett, and I enjoyed reading his plays. The class discussions are interesting, but could use a little more direction to keep them on point. But, then again, staying on point is hard to do when you’re discussing something with an intentionally ambiguous point in some cases. However, some direction would help keep us on topic. Hopefully this will come in future classes.

The remaining class is a crash course in the Hungarian Language. However, this class is now done, so I basically only have the four classes. I now know some phrases, foods and numbers, hopefully enough Hungarian to get me through market places when I need to buy food. The markets will be something to explain in a future posting.

You should also know I like tea. But coffee is also quite acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment